This summer turned out to be a very creative one for me since I had an injury in late Spring, (more on this in a separate post) and I was not traveling at all for work. I needed to feed my creative soul and stay busy too. Besides just working on some mixed media canvases and doing tons of cooking, I started doing a lot of repurposing of old things I have found. I am so pleased with the results I figure I have to start sharing them! Unfortunately on this particular project I do not have any photos of the steps but since I am going to be doing this more regularly, I will make sure to start trying to do that. Here is the story of this piece:
I belong to a couple of local selling sites on Facebook much like Craig's List, and I saw a baby changing table pop up on my newsfeed. I remembered seeing ideas for turning these into shelves on Pinterest and immediately knew exactly what I would do with this, I even had the color in my head! I have a very small kitchen so moving some of these things off of my counter and onto this kitchen shelf would free up some very valuable counter space and it would look cool too! I posted first and even offered a bit less for it and she sold it to me, (although it was a friend so that helped!) Here is what it looked like when I bought it:
I sanded it just enough to rough it up and then power washed it and wiped it down to get all of the dust off of it from sanding. I then spray painted it using Rustoleum brand, Gloss Protective Enamel, #25075 GLS Fern. This process is very time consuming and you have to have patience, (which is not my best virtue!) because you need to do thin layers many times. You also do not want to spray too close because you will get drips. I did the back first so that I could sort-of 'practice' and I did figure out the best way to do it by the time I got to the front. You want to allow a good amount of dry time before you start moving it around to do the other sides. If you do get drips you can sand them out by hand, wipe off the dust and re-paint those areas. Just make sure the item is VERY dry before sanding that drip out. I am IN LOVE with how it turned out! Here is the finished project below, and yes, there is a little it of dramatic photo editing because all 'After' photos MUST be dramatic! :)
I am actually working on projects all weekend so beware... I may be doing more Before and After photos in the very near future! This is super fun and very rewarding. Please, if you have any questions let me know either in the comments section or even on Facebook. I am not a professional but I am starting to learn some tricks on how to get better results.
Happy Crafting! :)